Surface Area of A Cylinder
- Students will get an 8.5x11in sheet of paper taped together in a tube. Assuming the tube has a top and bottom, how would you find the surface area of the tube?
- The goal is to initially get every student to realize that a cylinder is made up of a rectangle and two circles.
- The second goal is for students to then measure the area of all three shapes and add them together.
- Students will then work on a drawn example where only the height and radius are given. From this example students need to see that the length of the rectangle is not given and that it will have to be calculated because it is the same as the circumference of the cylinder.
- Students will then derive where the formula for surface are of a cylinder comes from.
- Students will practice several more examples.